Five quarterbacks went in the first round of this year’s draft and 13 quarterbacks were chosen over the entire three-day affair, but none of them were former Michigan Wolverine John O’Korn.
O’Korn called himself the “the most NFL-ready quarterback in terms of “knowing what to do on a day-to-day basis, game-planning” because of his experience playing in pro style offense under former NFL head coach Jim Harbaugh in Ann Arbor. That didn’t convince any teams to pick him, but O’Korn will get a chance to convince the Lions that he’s worth keeping on the roster.
Avery Williamson plays with speed and, most of the time, discipline. He does it so well, in fact, that the Jets guaranteed him $16 million in free agency, which is why the Titans had to draft Rashaan Evans in this year’s first round. Zach Mettenberger got a better chance than most sixth-round quarterbacks get. Head coach Ken Whisenhunt made him the starter in Weeks 8-14 in 201Mettenberger also started four games in 2015. In the end, he validated the suspicion that arm strength alone can’t make a QB.
Part of the reason, General Manager John Elway said, is because the Broncos aren’t ready to give up on Paxton Lynch.
“We are not kicking him to the curb,’’ Elway said, via Mike Klis of Denver’s 9News. “He can still develop. When we drafted him two years ago, as I said, we knew it was going to take some time.
“Paxton is going to compete with Chad [Kelly] for that backup spot. We are not going to bring another one in for OTAs. We will take a peek at that. It will be those two and Case [Keenum]. We are going to OTAs with those guys and go from there.”
Lynch and Kelly will compete for the backup job behind Keenum, who signed a two-year, $36 million contract last month. Lynch, the 26th overall choice in 2016, has gone 1-3 in four starts with four touchdowns and four interceptions.
The sudden disclosure on Wednesday night that Lions coach Matt Patricia was indicted in 1996 for aggravated sexual assault created an assortment of P.R. options for Patricia. He could have said nothing at all, he could have issued a written statement but otherwise said nothing verbally, he could have issued a written statement, supplemented it with verbal comments, and otherwise taken no questions, or he could have issued a written statement, issued verbal comments, and answered all questions, fully and completely.
Patricia opted for a hybrid of the last two options, issuing a written statement, making verbal comments at a Thursday press conference, and then attempting to answer questions by reciting sound bites and buzz words without directly and fully answering the questions.
Do we have a right to know any of these things, or is it none of our business? That’s a fair question, and reasonable minds may differ as to the answer. On one hand, Patricia has provided a broad denial to a broad claim. In the absence of specific allegations, there’s arguably no reason for Patricia to provide specifics.
We’ll find out. We’ve got to communicate, Carroll said Sunday, per ESPN.com’s Brady Henderson. Phase 2 doesn’t look like it’s suiting him right now, so we’ll see, we’ll see what’s happening. Phase 3 is around the corner for us, so we’ll see. We’ve got one more week of Phase 2.
Pittsburgh has had little success with backups for Big Ben, with another Oklahoma product, Landry Jones, never approaching the Roethlisberger level. When Oklahoma State played at Heinz Field last year and won 59-21, Rudolph threw for five touchdowns in the first half. Five quarterbacks went on Thursday night, from top overall pick Baker Mayfield (coincidentally, a Sooner) to Lamar Jackson of Louisville at No. 32. Then, nothing. Until Rudolph, who was not on hand. Rudolph will join James Washington, his main target at Oklahoma State and Pittsburgh’s second-round choice.
NFL Draft tracker To go on to the next chapter with one of your brothers and the best receiver you’ve spent your whole college days with and maybe spend 15 years with, Rudolph said, it’s awesome. Also not present when his name was called 59th overall by Washington was LSU running back Derrius Guice. Guice was among the 22 players on hand for the opening round, but he cleared out after not being chosen.